|
|
 |
You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Algeria accused
of killings thousands in secret war |
 |
The Independent
Katherine Butler
February 28, 2003
Algeria's powerful military rulers have been
accused of allowing the "disappearances" of at least 7,000 people
during an undeclared civil war with radical Islamists they have
waged over the past 10 years.
Algeria's powerful military rulers have been
accused of allowing the "disappearances" of at least 7,000 people
during an undeclared civil war with radical Islamists they have
waged over the past 10 years.
An investigation by Human Rights Watch in New
York concluded yesterday that the Algerian leadership was guilty of
gross human rights violations. Algeria had "utterly failed" to
investigate the thousands of civilians made to "disappear" by the
state security forces between 1992 and 1998, who remain unaccounted
for. "None of the missing has returned and no one has been held
accountable for their disappearance," it said.
Hanny Megally, of Human Rights Watch, said:
"All of the government's missing-person bureaux, complaint
mechanisms and responses to foreign queries amount to a cruel
stonewalling operation. Our research shows the government has not
produced a shred of information, even when families can furnish
details about the security forces they saw abduct their sons and
husbands."
The report said not one person accused of
involvement in a "disappearance" had been charged or brought to
trial.
Separately, Amnesty International accused the
Algerian security forces yesterday of widespread torture and
demanded information on the fate of the missing people. After a
two-week mission – the first the organisation has been allowed to
make in three years – Amnesty said torture was systematic and
widespread.
The damning reports come on the eve of a visit
to Algiers by Jacques Chirac, the first such visit by a French
President to Algeria since independence in 1962.
Algeria has been ravaged by violence since
1992, when generals cancelled elections that radical Islamist groups
were poised to win. The people, in a backlash against corruption and
repression, had voted overwhelmingly for the radical Islamic
Salvation Front, a wing of which then took up arms.
At least 100,000 people are believed to have
died in the decade since, a period punctuated by unspeakable
atrocities and insecurity. Massacres of civilians are routine –
although less frequent in recent months – and generally blamed on
the shadowy GIA (Armed Islamic Group). But powerful factions within
the secretive ruling military elite have been accused of
orchestrating kidnappings, assassinations and even massacres to
manipulate the GIA and reinforce the army's own grip on power.
President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, installed by the military in 1999,
has offered Islamist groups amnesty but the GIA has rejected the
offer.
Since the 11 September atrocities, the
government has enjoyed a thaw in relations with the West thanks to
its self-proclaimed record on tackling terrorism.
America, which suspended aid to Algeria after
the cancellation of the 1992 elections and the ensuing bloodshed,
announced recently that it would resume the sale of military
equipment to the Algerian government to help it combat Islamic
militants.
The EU has also been fostering closer ties with
Algiers. Algeria supplies much of the natural gas European consumers
rely on. Human Rights Watch says that despite the inclusion of a
human rights clause in a bilateral trade and aid deal concluded
between the EU and Algiers in 2001, repeated inquiries on the
disappeared have yielded nothing.
President Bouteflika has proposed compensating
families of the missing. The government admits it has received
complaints about more than 4,000 missing people.
M. Chirac is under intense pressure from
campaigners to use his influence to seek an independent commission
to compel the testimony of state security agents and the disclosure
of documents. While there have been few cases of state sponsored
"disappearances" since 2000, Human Rights Watch said little had been
done to prevent their recurrence.
The investigation also accuses armed groups
that call themselves Islamic of kidnapping thousands of Algerians
during the armed strife.
Omar Ourad is one presumed victim of such
groups. He was kidnapped from his home in Baraki, near Algiers, by
an armed group in August 1994, and was never seen again. He was 48.
His son, Yassine Ourad, a photographer, told Human Rights Watch: "As
they left they told us, 'Don't worry, we're just taking him for
questioning.' They took him in his pyjamas. Until today we don't
know who took him."
story url
|
 |
|
|