 |
You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Displaced children especially vulnerable to illness and
military re-recruitment in North Kivu |
 |
Unicef
By
Blue Chevigny
September 18,
2007
This is an era of extreme difficulty for the people of DR Congo.
Between 300,000 to 350,000 people have been displaced since November
2006. In the last few weeks, the situation has gone from bad to
worse with approximately 60,000 people newly displaced from their
homes around North Kivu. In unstable circumstances like these,
children are especially vulnerable to exploitation.
“Separation of children from the parents always puts children at
risk,” says UNICEF’s Chief of Field Operations for DR Congo Julien
Harneis. “Then you’ve got the creation of spontaneous camps, which
leads to measles, cholera and the recruitment of children into armed
groups.”
The challenges posed by forced child recruitment are vast.
Children are taken by militias against their will and used as
porters and fighters or, in the case of girls, for sexual
exploitation. There is also great risk, of course, of injury and
death from violence and battle.
Falling prey to re-recruitment
“We have a report of 54 cases of children recruited northeast of
here and to the west we’ve heard that there’s forced recruitment of
all males over the age of fifteen,” says Mr. Harneis. “In the last
couple of weeks, we believe that hundreds of children have been
recruited into militias, which brings the total number of cases to
well over a thousand.”
Upwards of 8,000 children have been separated from militias. In
most cases, these former child soldiers are returned to their
communities of origin. However, Mr. Harneis says, for many
ex-soldiers the story does not end there. Many fall prey to
re-recruitment or banditry.
“Eventually, they will get separated from the armed groups. But
then they face issues related to alienation from their community.
These children haven’t been educated and their skills aren’t
appropriate to civilian life.”
UNICEF is addressing these problems by supporting a comprehensive
reintegration programme for 5,500 former child soldiers who’ve
already returned to their community. Unfortunately, due to current
intense fighting, the environment is too insecure in many parts of
North Kivu to implement the programme.
The organization and its partners are also stepping up efforts to
provide much needed vaccinations, nutritional supplements, water and
sanitation aids and shelter to the newly displaced people now living
in camps and makeshift shelters.
‘A peaceful solution must be found’
Unfortunately, it is currently impossible to be sure how many
children are at risk for being re-recruited once they are removed
from the armed groups.
“Several hundred children have been recruited in the last couple
of weeks,” says Mr. Harneis. “How many of them have been
re-recruited? We don’t have access to these areas, so we cannot
ascertain at the moment the exact origin of these recruits. What we
do know is that about 5,500 children in the area have previously
been in armed groups – and they are all at risk for re-recruitment.”
The bottom line, Mr. Harneis says, is that the hard work of
UNICEF and its partners in areas such as health, water and
sanitation and protection, can only reach so far considering the
current instability in the country.
“The most important thing for North Kivu is peace and
security," says Mr. Harneis. "As long as there are armed groups here
there’s going to be risk of disease and recruitment of children.
There needs to be a political solution. A peaceful and diplomatic
solution must be found to what’s going on here.”
story url
|
 |