You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Clashes in south-western Côte d’Ivoire hamper UN humanitarian efforts |  |
 |
 |
 |

May 24, 2011
Armed clashes in south-western Côte d’Ivoire have displaced
thousands of women and children, halted a vital polio immunization
campaign, and are threatening other forms of life-saving assistance,
the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
reported today.
UNICEF said fighting
in and around the town of Soubré in the south-western province of
Bas-Sassandra has displaced at least 4,000 persons, mostly women and
children, forced a halt to an immunization campaign planned with the
health ministry and the World Health Organization (WHO)
to curtail the spread of a form of polio reported in the area, and
prevented UN aid agencies from accessing affected people.
Earlier this month, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
reported that despite the end of a post-electoral crisis, the
humanitarian situation in the country remained “alarming” for tens
of thousands of civilians.
The country’s political crisis ended when former president
Laurent Gbagbo surrendered on 11 April, following months of deadly
violence that erupted in the wake of his refusal to step down after
he lost the UN-certified presidential run-off election last November
to Alassane Ouattara.
In today’s statement, Hervé Ludovic de Lys, UNICEF Representative
in Côte d’Ivoire, said, “This recent outbreak of insecurity is
putting on hold key child survival activities such as vaccinating
against polio which would prevent children from being exposed to a
virus that could leave them paralyzed for life.” Three cases of
polio have been confirmed in the area.
A national polio immunization campaign, including the district of
Soubré, is planned to start this Friday if security conditions
allow, he said.
“As the country is getting on the path to stability and recovery
we should not overlook pressing humanitarian needs in localized
areas of the country where swift humanitarian response is still
required to save the life of women and children,” Mr. Ludovic de Lys
said.
A UNICEF statement released today said critical needs remain
unmet such as decent shelters, water and sanitation facilities and
emergency health services.
“The risk of widespread epidemics is becoming high with the poor
health conditions of displaced populations being compounded by the
start of the rainy season and the poor quality of health services
delivery in the current post-crisis situation.
“UNICEF fears that the overall conditions of displaced women and
children could further deteriorate if safe humanitarian access is
not quickly restored to allow rapid assessments and delivery of aid.
The situation could possibly be worse in other parts of the
southwest region of Côte d'Ivoire but so far the lack of safe access
does not allow aid agencies to draw a clear picture of the situation
on the ground.”
story url
|