|
|
 |
You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Border tension between
Ethiopia and Eritrea has eased |  |
 |
 |
 |
UN News Centre
11 January 2006
Tension on the disputed border between
Ethiopia and Eritrea has eased, the United Nations said today,
although restrictions on the movement of UN personnel and the
Eritrean ban on UN helicopters remains.
“The military situation has seen some positive developments.
We have had some reduction of tension,” the Force Commander of
the UN Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) told a news
conference in the region today.
Ethiopia and Eritrea fought a bitter border war between 1998
and 2000 and the two countries are now separated by the
Temporary Security Zone (TSZ), which earlier this month UN
officials described as “tense and potentially volatile.”
“This is my assessment: that tension has been reduced. I am
not saying that there are still no tensions. I am saying that
the tension levels have been reduced,” said Maj. Gen. Rajender
Singh, the UNMEE Force Commander.
In November, the Security Council called on both Ethiopia and
Eritrea to reduce the number of troops at the border and
Major-General Singh confirmed that force levels had gone down.
On Tuesday, Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping
Jean-Marie Guéhenno said no hasty decision would be taken on the
future of its operation in the Horn of Africa countries, adding
that “time had to be given for diplomacy” between Ethiopia and
Eritrea.
Eritrea has increased its criticism of the UN for not forcing
Ethiopia to accept the border delineated in 2002, awarding Badme
– the town that triggered the border conflict – to Eritrea.
story url
|
 |
|
|