|
|
 |
You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Ethiopia advocates overthrow of Eritrean Government |  |
 |
 |
 |
Voice of America News
Peter Heinlein
March 20, 2011
Ethiopia has announced a change in its foreign policy to actively
advocate the overthrow of the government in neighboring Eritrea.
In a series of interviews during the past week, Ethiopian
officials have told of a switch in policy on Eritrea from defensive
to proactive.
News agencies quoted Ethiopean Prime Minister Meles Zenawi as
telling an Eritrean opposition radio station his government would
work in a ‘diplomatic and military capacity’ to oust the regime in
Asmara, the Eritrean capital. The reports gave no further details.
Ethiopia earlier accused its archrival of dispatching a
team of would-be terrorists to Addis Ababa in January to create
havoc during the recent African Union summit. Officials say
suspects carrying explosives were intercepted and the plot was
broken up.
An Ethiopian spokesman did not have details of the arrests.
Last week, Mr. Meles told a group of English-language journalists
his government had uncovered evidence that Eritrea is trying to
foment a North-Africa type revolution in Ethiopia.
“We know for sure that, for example, the Eritrean government has
given its messenger boys instructions to try. The Eritrean
government has decided to turn Addis into Baghdad. That is their
latest slogan. That is the instruction they give their messenger
boys when they have sent them with bombs and explosives at hand to
try and create havoc prior to the AU summit here. Now they are
supplementing that instruction with instructions to try and create
disturbances, popular uprising and so on,” he said.
In an interview Sunday with VOA, Ethiopian Foreign Ministry
Spokesman Dina Mufti said the decision to take a tougher stance was
made after the international community turned a deaf ear to pleas
for more pressure on Eritrea.
“We have been hoping the international community will put
pressure on it. However, we do not see that, therefore time has
come for us to make sure that our sovereignty is protected and our
people, our country, is saved. So these are the situations that
have forced us to revisit our position,” he said.
Dina said Ethiopia had been forced to take what he called
“necessary measures” because the threat from Eritrea had
intensified. He did not elaborate.
Eritrea broke away from Ethiopia and won independence after a
30-year struggle in the early 1990s. Meles Zenawi and current
Eritrean President Isaias Afewerki were allies in the independence
struggle, but later had a falling out, leading to a two-year border
war from 1998 to 2000 that killed an estimated 70,000 people.
The neighbors no longer have diplomatic relations.
But Eritrea maintains a diplomatic mission to the African Union,
which is headquartered in Addis Ababa. Eritrean ambassador Girma
Asmerom declined to comment on the Ethiopian accusations, noting
that his portfolio covers only AU affairs. He referred all
questions to government spokesmen in Asmara.
Attempts to reach Eritrea by telephone for comment were
unsuccessful, but the Asmara government has vociferously denied any
attempt to destabilize Ethiopia.
The U.N. Security Council imposed sanctions on Eritrea in 2009
for providing aid to Islamist insurgents in nearby Somalia. The
sanctions include an arms embargo, as well as a travel ban and
assets freeze against the country’s leadership.
Libya, which was a member of the Security Council at the time,
cast the only ‘no’ vote on the sanctions resolution. Eritrea’s U.N.
ambassador wrote a letter to the Security Council before the vote
calling the charges “ludicrous punitive measures.” He said the
sanctions risked engulfing the Horn of Africa in another cycle of
conflict as it might encourage Ethiopia to contemplate what he
called “reckless military adventures.”
story url
|
 |
|
|