You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
UK's deadly legacy: The Cluster
Bomb
|  |
 |
 |
 |
The Independent
November 21, 2005
By Ben RussellIt is feared that thousands of bomblets lie
unexploded in Iraq, capable of maiming or killing innocent
civilians. This week, more than two years after they were dropped,
Britain is finally being held to account.
Tony Blair is facing fresh fury over the use of
controversial munitions in the Iraq war. Campaigners lambasted the
Ministry of Defence over its use of deadly cluster bombs and shells
during the invasion, warning that they could contravene
international law.
MPs are to table a raft of new questions today
over the affair amid fears that thousands of bomblets released
during the war will leave a deadly legacy for Iraqi civilians. They
warned that any unexploded bomblets could kill or maim civilians for
years to come.
The dispute over British use of cluster bombs
will be intensify this week with the publication of a report by the
pressure group Landmine Action, which raises questions over the
efforts made to ensure that the weapons did not harm civilians. It
comes as international signatories to the international convention
on conventional weapons meet in Geneva this week, amid pressure for
a moratorium on the production of cluster bombs and tough new limits
on their use.
The report, funded by the Diana, Princess of
Wales Memorial Fund, said British officials had failed to gather
field data about the failure rates of cluster bomblets, and had done
"little or nothing to gauge the humanitarian impact of these
weapons".
It said that the UK had "failed to undertake
any significant effort to understand better the impact of cluster
munition use and has continued to use them. As was foreseeable,
these cluster munitions have been a cause of civilian casualties."
Michael Moore, the Liberal Democrat defence
spokesman, said: "This is a very significant report which raises
some very serious issues. There is clearly a lack of information and
I will be tabling questions and writing to the Secretary of State
with a copy of this report seeking detailed answers to the questions
it raises. The jury may be out on the political legacy of the
coalition's time in Iraq but the military legacy could be absolutely
devastating."
Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour MP for Islington
North, also said he would raise fresh questions about the affair. He
said: "My concerns about the issue of cluster bombs are as strong as
they ever were. Unexploded bomblets lying around can be picked up by
farmers and children in the community and can be lethal. They can be
buried and can be as bad as land mines."
A report published in 2003 by the group Human
Rights Watch said British forces had killed dozens of civilians in
and around Basra using ground launched cluster munitions.
Britain confirmed in 2003 that it dropped
substantial numbers of cluster bombs during the campaign. The
Ministry of Defence said that 2,000 bomblet shells were fired by
artillery on the ground and 68 cluster bombs were dropped from the
air during the war.
Ministers insisted that the weapons were
targeting "specific military targets", but later confirmed that
British troops used cluster bombs in built up areas. The revelation
sparked a storm of protest after The Independent revealed in 2003
that Adam Ingram, the Armed Forces minister, had admitted that the
use of cluster bombs against civilian targets would not be legal.
Parliamentary written answers released at the
time also confirmed that the MoD had carried out no reviews or
assessments of the civilian casualties caused by unexploded bomblets
used in the Gulf region, Kosovo or Afghanistan. The Ministry
insisted last year that it had cleared more than one million
unexploded bombs in southern Iraq, including 6,000 sub-munitions, or
bomblets.
Ministers insist that the cluster bombs are not
indiscriminate and represent an acceptable "balance between the
threat to civilians and the need to protect British forces". But
critics said the answer provided too little detail to determine
whether British forces had removed all threats to Iraqi civilians.
The Landmine Action report also warned
yesterday that the bomblets could have a 10 per cent failure rate,
and said that in conflict zones such as Kosovo unexploded munitions
were still being found years after the end of hostilities.
It said a British Government report had
acknowledged that airborne cluster bombs had an "unacceptable"
failure rate, and warned: "It is far from clear that those making
decisions about the use of cluster munitions routinely do so or even
could do so with a serious sense of the possible effects of the
weapons."
Simon Conway, the acting director of Landmine
Action, said: "These weapons were designed for use against columns
of vehicles on the German plains. If you fire an artillery shell
into a populated area fighting irregular troops like in 2003 and you
use a weapons system like this in that context it can be
indiscriminate."
A spokesman for the MoD insisted: "Cluster
munitions are entirely lawful weapons. If we did not use them we
would have to use something much more hazardous to civilians."
story url
|