 |
You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
Landmines in Mozambique: After the
floods |  |
 |
 |
 |
Human Rights Watch
March 28, 2000 By Mary Wareham
While the floods in Mozambique during the past month have
undoubtedly reversed much of the progress made recently on many
fronts in Mozambique, their impact on the country's well-established
mine action programmes remains mostly unknown at this point. It is
not yet possible to evaluate the impact of the floods that have
devastated the southern and central region of the country, including
the mine-affected provinces of Maputo, Gaza, Inhambane, Sofala and
Manica. Most areas affected are still inundated by the floods with
the possibility of more floods as river levels increase again. In
the areas where the flood is receding, there is still little
mobility with few villagers returning home. In addition to mines,
many other life-threatening problems confront Mozambique as a result
of the flooding including the threats of malaria and cholera.
The
main danger with respect to mines is however very clear: there is no
certainty as to where the mines are now because landmines and buried
explosives, shift like stones in rushing water, and tend to move
downstream following gravity. Some of the antipersonnel mines used
in Mozambique were made of plastic and float in water. According to
Gerhard Zank, the Mozambique representative of the Halo Trust, a
British demining agency: "In the past, mines have been washed
downstream in heavy rains, but we never had flooding on this massive
scale before. We just don't know what the effect will be." 1
Markings of mined areas may have been swept away or destroyed.
The rain and flooding may have exposed buried mines. Mines
may have shifted in the floodwaters and end up in areas previously
considered clear and safe. These mines will therefore present a more
serious risk for deminers and civilians alike. Fear of mines has
already delayed significantly the repair power lines taken out by
the floods.
One of the most-publicized messages from Mozambique's leaders on
the flooding is their appeal to citizens to be aware of the landmine
danger. "They should alert the authorities so that that device is
checked before they can continue with their work because it is true
when there are floods in any country where there are mines, mines
are moved around from one place to another," said Mozambique
President Joaquim Chissano on 8 March.2
Chissano rightly identified Mozambique with the 87 other
mine-affected countries of the world, all of which face common
problems with uncleared mines and unexploded ordnance (UXO) that
shift from their original location through erosion, flooding,
melting snow, shifting sand and other natural elements.
In central Vietnam, mines and UXO that were once 4-12 inches
below the surface shifted during severe flooding in
November-December 1999. The BLU 26/36 "bombies" and 40 mm grenades
were most susceptible to shifting, as well as being responsible for
a large number of casualties; this phenomenon is blamed for at least
3 deaths last November.3
In the Republic of Korea, Landmine Monitor reported on civilian
casualties that mainly occur near the 155-mile Demilitarized Zone
(DMZ) and more recently due to flooding or landslides caused by
heavy rains that wash landmines out of the DMZ minefields or storage
sites and into areas frequented by civilians. In one incident in
August 1998, it was reported that 200 M14 antipersonnel mines had
been swept away by rains.4 In April
1999, the ROK Joint Chiefs of Staff reportedly said that only 59 of
321 landmines washed away by rainstorms in late 1998 had been
recovered.5
While the flooding in Mozambique may have set-back mine action
programs, some operators are very wary of making statements that
could deter donors by giving painting a hopeless scenario that is
worse that the anticipated effect of the flooding. When Tropical
Storm Mitch hit Central America in late 1998, much media attention
focused on a statement that 25,000 mines were adrift in Honduras and
Nicaragua as a result of the storm. No one knew the exact number of
mines adrift for certain; more important was the impact of the storm
on existing mine action programs. In Mozambique, one operator's main
concern is that areas that had been verified safe or that had been
demined before the flooding cannot be deemed safe until they have
been through a verification process again, especially those areas
close to or downstream from known minefields.6
Most demining operators today suggest that the number of mines in
Mozambique is likely to be in the hundreds of thousands of landmines
but it is not the number of landmines, but their impact
that provides an indicator a country's mine-affected status. Few
maps and records were kept of the mines laid during Mozambique's
decades-long civil war, which ended in 1992. Mines were used by both
Frelimo and Renamo for both around areas including military
headquarters, towns and villages, sources of water and power, pylon
lines and dams, as well as on roads, tracks and paths and alongside
bridges and railway lines.7 Many of
mines in Mozambique were laid around bridges and culverts, to
protect bridges from being attacked by people intent on blowing them
up. Since the war, many of these, including the bridges on N1 the
main road up the country, have simply been demarcated as mined
areas, and/or cleared when the roads were repaired. On smaller
upcountry grade roads, the culverts and bridges were similarly
mined, even fewer of these have been cleared.
Minefields have been located in all provinces, but the most
heavily mined regions are found along the border with Zimbabwe in
the west of Manica province, in the center of the country in
Zambezia and Tete provinces, and in the south in Maputo and
Inhambane provinces. A major global initiative is currently underway
to get better baseline data for mine action operations at the
country level. Mozambique is one of a dozen mine-affected countries
that have been identified for this level one survey but the survey
in Mozambique seems to be unaffected by the flooding as it has only
just started. Village level data collection began just recently in
the northern, less-flood impacted province and it is unknown what
impact, if any, the flooding will have on the survey when it moves
to the central and southern regions in 5-6 months.
To date, no injuries directly related to landmines in the floods
is known, yet it is still to early to rule out that such injuries
might have occurred as people moved around. Indeed the greatest
danger to populations by mines may come as the return home and begin
to rebuild their lives and communities. Local landmarks will have
changed and already established minefield marking will have been
destroyed by the flooding. Minefield marking can include the
including sticks, the red-and-white signposts and tape emblazoned
with a skull and crossbones. In the areas affected by flooding, many
of these markings have washed away. If mine action operators were
not yet in the area prior to the flooding, locals might know to
avoid an area suspected of mines or place a marker, such as a small
pile of stones or sticks, to indicate a mined area and others would
therefore steer clear of it. Now that small pile of stones of stocks
may also have been washed away. Such markers may no longer be
trusted.
On 15 March, a four-month emergency mine action programme was
initiated supported by the National Institute for Mine Clearance (IND),
the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Accelerated
Demining Program (ADP), Handicap International (HI), Norwegian
People's Aid (NPA) and other mine action operators. Main components
of the programme include: the identification of the most populated
at-risk areas; the collection of data relating to the possible
effects of the floods on landmine location; raising awareness among
the affected population, including those in refugee camps and the
establishment of teams to identify and destroy displaced landmines.
The emergency mine risk education campaign in the areas where floods
may have covered or disturbed confirmed or suspected minefields
includes precautions to be taken when people return home. After
people have returned and settled in, the intensive awareness
campaign is expected to continue. This emergency programme is in
addition to the continued and long-established mine action
programmes, including demining and mine awareness.
In Mozambique, there are approximately nine to twelve thousand
amputees but it is too difficult to trace how many of these people
are amputees as a result of mine injuries. In 1995, Handicap
International estimated that there were between fifty and sixty new
mine victims each month. In 1998, a total of eighty-three new mine
victims were reported over the entire year. Over the course of 1999,
a dozen people were killed and 48 others injured by the explosives.8
This is a dozen deaths too many but a dramatic indicator of the
progress that has been made on all fronts to combat Mozambique's
landmine problem. While no new mine victims have occurred due to
mines that shifted in the floods, it is still possible that injuries
will occur when the populations displaced by the floods returns
home.
Unlike Korea and Vietnam, which have been reluctant to issue
public warnings on the dangers of mines that have moved in flooding,
Mozambique's leaders are on record urging their citizens to be aware
of these dangers. Their statements are an important indicator of how
far the country has advanced in acknowledging and dealing with its
mine and UXO problem. This response cannot be fully understood
without a final examination of the policy steps Mozambique has taken
to totally eradicate this weapon.
In February 1997, during the International Campaign to Ban
Landmine's Fourth International NGO Conference on Landmines, held in
Maputo, Foreign Minister Leonardo Simão announced Mozambique's
immediate ban on the use, production, import and export of
antipersonnel mines. Simão cited the of the mobilization work
undertaken by the non-governmental Mozambican Campaign Against
Landmines (CMCM) as a key factor in the decision to renounce
antipersonnel mines. The campaign collected and presented to
President Chissano 100,000 signatures from citizens calling for a
total ban on the weapon.
From this point on, Mozambique has played an important role in
ensuring African support for the Ottawa Process and the 1997
Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production
and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and On their Destruction
(otherwise referred to as the Ottawa or Mine Ban Treaty).9
Mozambique signed Mine Ban Treaty in Ottawa, Canada in December 1997
and was thirty-third country to ratify. In May 1999, Mozambique was
host to the First Meeting of States Parties to the Mine Ban Treaty -
a significant event as it was the first diplomatic meeting of the
treaty to be held in a mine-affected county as opposed to the
diplomatic capitols of New York or Geneva.
Mozambique's response to the landmine crisis, both domestically
and internationally, has not gone unnoticed by the donor community
who generally view the country as a success story in terms of mine
action. Unlike its heavily mine-affected neighbor Angola, Mozambique
has not returned to war since the Peace Accords and there have been
very few instances of new use of antipersonnel mines. According to
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, between 1993 and
the end of 1998, funding for mine action in Mozambique exceeded
US$116 million with major donors including the United States,
Norway, Canada, E.U., Germany, Denmark and France.
There are currently numerous donor appeals for assistance for
Mozambique in the aftermath of the flooding, including calls for
increased assistance for mine action. It is critical that mine
action in Mozambique continues to be funded. While the floods have
undoubtedly knocked back mine action efforts in Mozambique, the
degree to which operations have been affected still remains mostly
unknown. One lesson that can be drawn from the experience is that
the progress that has been made by Mozambique over the course of the
past decade in dealing with its mine problem will not be completely
undone as a result of the flooding, it will hopefully only be
delayed. Notes1 Dean E. Murphy, "Danger Lurks Below The Surface In
Mozambique," Los Angeles Times, 3 March 2000, Pg. 12.
2 Alex Belinda, "MOZAMBIQUE-FLOODS-LANDMINES", Voice of
America Transcript, 8 March 2000.
3 Brousseau and Hathaway, "Adrift in Central Vietnam"; LM
Vietnam interviews with Mark Pirie (JMU-MAP Program Manager), Jan-Feb 2000;
technical notes provided to Landmine Monitor Vietnam by Roger Hess, UXB
International. From forthcoming ICBL, Landmine Monitor Report 2000, tbr
September 2000.
4 Xinhua, "Over 10 tons of Ammunition Lost in
Rains," 7 August 1998.
5 "Air Force removing thousands of
landmines," Korea Herald, 2 April 1999.
6 Telephone interview with Christian Ruge, Policy Officer,
Norwegian People's Aid, 23 March 2000.
7 Landmines produced in the following countries have been
found in Mozambique: USSR, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Yugoslavia, China,
Italy, Belgium, France, U.K., Portugal, U.S., South Africa, Rhodesia, Zimbabwe,
Brazil, Austria.
8 Greg Myre, Associated Press, "Floodwaters
Uproot Land Mines From Mozambique's Civil War," Philadelphia Inquirer,
11 March 2000.
9 Forty-one African states have signed the Mine Ban Treaty,
of which twenty-two have ratified to date. The seven African non-signatories are
Central African Republic, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Democratic Republic of
Congo (DRC), Eritrea, Nigeria and Somalia. The Mine Ban Treaty global total is
currently 137 signatories, of which 94 have ratified. Approximately fifty
countries remain outside the treaty including the United States. Current U.S.
policy is to join the Mine Ban Treaty in 2006 as long as alternatives to AP
mines have been developed and fielded by this date.
This conference
paper is drawn from the Mozambique country report contained in:
International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Landmine Monitor Report
1999: Toward a Mine-Free World (New York: Human Rights Watch, April
1999, 1,100 pages). ISBN: 1-56432-231-9.
story url
|
 |