|
|
 |
You are in: Home :: News Story |
NEWS STORY
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
UN concerned over use of children in protests in Nepal
|
 |

February 23, 2008
Expressing concern over the use of children in violent protests in Nepal, the United Nations has urged parents and political parties in that country to ensure that the youngsters are not harmed.
In a joint statement on Friday, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Nepal said they have received confirmed reports of children's involvement, especially in the Terai region, in violent activities.
Earlier this month in Nepalgunj, "a considerable number of children," aged between seven and 15, some carrying sticks, were seen supporting the enforcement of general strike called by the United Democratic Madhesi front (UDMF), it said.
In another case, children aged between eight and 12 armed with sticks, were observed manning a roadblock in Sunsari district, the UN agencies said.
More than 100 children, some in school uniforms, also took part in a violent attack on Nepali Congress members in Darchula district on February 5, they added.
UNICEF and OHCHR also urged all parties in Nepal to respect the Convention on the Rights of the Child and to take all measures to avoid exposing boys and girls under the age of 18 to risk of harm.
The country's recently enshrined electoral code clearly states that no children should be brought to participate in any kind of procession, mass meeting or election-related activities.
URL: story url
|
 |
|
|