|
|||||||||||||
|
News Stories
By Nicholas Wood May 17, 2004 SKOPJE, Macedonia, May 14 - Roughly two months after the
Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington, a group of high-level
officials met here in Macedonia's Interior Ministry to determine how their
country could take part in the United States-led campaign against terror. Instead of offering troops to support American soldiers
fighting in Afghanistan, as other countries in the region had done, senior
officials and police commanders conceived a plan to "expose" a
terrorist plot against Western interests in Skopje, police investigators
here say. The plan, they say, involved luring foreign migrants into
the country, executing them in a staged gun battle, and then claiming they
were a unit backed by Al Qaeda intent on attacking Western embassies. On March 2, 2002, this plan came to fruition when Interior
Minister Ljube Boskovski announced that seven "mujahedeen" had
been killed earlier that day in a shootout with the police near Skopje.
Photos were released to Western diplomats showing bodies of the dead men
with bags of uniforms and semiautomatic weapons at their side. At the time, diplomats in Skopje questioned the
government's story, but it was not until the nationalist-led government
lost elections in September 2002 and a new center-left administration came
to power that the police began to investigate the shooting in earnest. The
full extent of the state's involvement in the incident has only emerged in
the last two weeks. On May 4, state prosecutors charged three senior police
commanders with the killings, with two other police officers and a
businessman. Mr. Boskovski, who was voted out of office with his
colleagues in September 2002, is wanted for questioning in connection with
the attack, but the police say he has fled the country and is believed to
be in Croatia. The current government has also raised the question of
whether the man who was prime minister at the time, Ljubco Georgievski,
knew about the plan. Speaking in the Macedonian Parliament in late April, Hari
Kostov, who was interior minister then and has since become prime
minister, asked Mr. Georgievski if he had given "the green light for
the operation." Mr. Georgievski did not respond on this occasion, but he
and Mr. Boskovski have consistently denied any knowledge of the plot.
Nevertheless, former members of their administration say the investigation
has implicated the state at very high levels. "It is monstrous, there is really no other explanation
for it," said Dosta Dimovska, a former deputy prime minister in Mr.
Georgievski's government and later chief of Macedonia's intelligence
agency. "The damage will be difficult to repair." A senior government adviser and former Interior Ministry
official who spoke on condition of anonymity said: "The state did it.
The Republic of Macedonia did it. And we will have to pay the price." In late 2001, after a six-month guerrilla war with ethnic
Albanian rebels, relations between Macedonia's nationalist government and
the outside world were at a low ebb. Diplomats, government officials and
investigators here have suggested that the government hoped to use the
post-Sept. 11 campaign against terror to give the government a free hand
in its conflict with the mostly Muslim ethnic Albanians. According to a recent briefing by an Interior Ministry
official, after the first planning meeting in November 2001, police
commanders contacted the chief of police in Delcevo, a town close to the
border with Bulgaria. Delcevo is also the home town of Mr. Georgievski and
a known center for human trafficking. The official said the police chief was told to "find a
group of Muslims with a specific physical description, who have to look
like mujahedeen." In a recent interview, that police chief, Vlatko Ristov,
who was also a member of Mr. Georgievski's nationalist party, VMRO-DPMNE,
admitted contacting the trafficker responsible for finding the migrants. "I only contacted the persons who transported
them" across the border from Bulgaria, Mr. Ristov said. He said the
group's journey to Skopje was organized by another human trafficker based
in Skopje. But later in the same interview, he denied any knowledge of
the deal, and said reports of his involvement had been made by local
criminals seeking to discredit him. The migrants - six Pakistanis and one Indian - had hoped to
make their way to Western Europe, when they were contacted by the
traffickers, and offered the possibility of traveling to Greece, the Interior Ministry
official said. The Pakistanis were later identified as Muhammed Riaz, Omar
Farooq, Syed Bilal, Hussein Shah, Asif Javed, and Khalid Iqbal. The name
of the Indian remains unknown. They were brought across the border and housed in Delcevo
for one night, after which they were driven to Skopje and taken to an
apartment, where they were given food and clothing. The official could not
say how long the men were kept in the apartment. At the same time a special police unit, called the Lions,
formed by and under the direct control of the interior minister, was
instructed to train for an antiterrorist operation at their base in
Katlanovo, a village close to Skopje. "Only their general knew that they were not real
terrorists," said the official. In February 2002, Mr. Boskovski surprised one Western
diplomat with claims about the presence of mujahedeen in areas affected by
the previous year's conflict northwest of Skopje, something the diplomat
said international cease-fire monitors in the region were unable to
confirm. At 2 a.m. on March 2, the official said, the seven Asian
men were driven in a minivan to a vineyard on the outskirts of Skopje and
left there. Once their driver left, four members of the Lions opened fire
on the men with automatic weapons, killing all seven. Within hours, Mr. Boskovski appeared outside the United
States Embassy in Skopje accompanied by television camera crews, an armored personnel carrier and members of the Lions, where
he announced the shooting and explained that the police had been
monitoring the men, who were suspected of connections with Al Qaeda and
ethnic Albanian rebels, to prevent them from carrying out attacks against
the British, American and German Embassies. In an apparently contradictory statement, he also said the
shooting occurred when a routine police patrol had been ambushed. Autopsies performed on the men as well as police photos
suggested that all the shooting had come from the police side, and that
the police had tried to stage the crime scene. All seven bodies had multiple bullet wounds and in one case
as many as 53, according to the Interior Ministry. Later, the police
showed pictures of a Lada jeep with two bullet holes in it as proof that a
gun battle had taken place. One of the guns found on the men was new and had not been
fired. In another case, the official said, a pistol was wedged into one of
the men's jeans in a position that covered four bullets wounds, but the
pistol itself was undamaged, suggesting it had been placed there after the
man had been killed. The positions of the men, and their clothing, also
suggested they had been dragged into place. "It was not a professional job," said Mirjana
Kontevska, spokeswoman for the Interior Ministry. Under pressure from Western diplomats, in the summer of
2002 Mr. Georgievski's government opened an inquiry into the shootings,
but exonerated the police involved of any wrongdoing, a conclusion some
diplomats here said suggested a cover-up. Another year and a half passed
before the new government pressed charges. A lawyer for relatives of the Pakistani men is now seeking damages from the Macedonian government. External URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/17/international/europe/ 17mace.html
|
|
|||||||||||
|
(c) 1999- The Children and Armed Conflict Unit |
|||||||||||||