|
||||||||||||
|
News Stories
By John Ward Anderson Wednesday, December 3, 2003; Page A16 JERUSALEM -- The government of Israel has approved the
construction of more than 1,720 new houses in Jewish settlements in the
West Bank and Gaza Strip this year, according to critics of the
settlements who say they undercut a U.S.-backed peace plan that mandates a
freeze on settlement expansion. The planned building is in addition to at least 1,000 homes
and other infrastructure projects under construction in the West Bank,
which Israel is also encircling with a massive fence complex, according to
groups and officials that monitor settlement activity. The planned building is in addition to at least 1,000 homes
and other infrastructure projects under construction in the West Bank,
which Israel is also encircling with a massive fence complex, according to
groups and officials that monitor settlement activity. Two weeks ago, Israeli soldiers began expanding the
boundary of Beitar Ilit, a community of more than 20,000 ultra-Orthodox
Jews about five miles southwest of Jerusalem. Beitar Ilit is one of the
fastest-growing settlements in the West Bank; it added 2,900 residents
last year. Last week, Deputy Defense Minister Zeev Boim announced that
several unauthorized settlement outposts -- many of them just a trailer on
a remote hilltop between existing settlements -- would soon be categorized
as legitimate settlements. "I've never seen settlement expansion at such a rate,
ever," said Mustafa Barghouti, a Palestinian political analyst, who
claimed that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is pushing ahead with
settlements while the peace process drags on. "He's stealing time to
impose his own facts on the ground by practically annexing more than half
the West Bank" with the fence project, Barghouti added, "and
imposing ghettoization on Palestinian villages that will mean the
destruction of a two-state solution." The Jewish settlers acknowledge their goal is to add more
housing. "Our target is to grow and expand as much as possible,"
said Yehoshua Mor-Yosef, a spokesman for the Yesha Council, the settlement
umbrella organization. In recent weeks, U.S. officials have criticized Israel's
refusal to stop building both settlements and the barrier snaking through
the West Bank. The officials have said the moves complicate the revival of
the peace plan known as the "road map," and could undermine a
final accord. The road map, which was adopted by the Israelis and
Palestinians at a summit meeting in Aqaba, Jordan, on June 4, obligates
Israel to freeze "all settlement activity (including natural growth
of settlements)" and "immediately" dismantle the estimated
56 outposts established since Sharon took office in March 2001. "Israel should freeze settlement construction,
dismantle unauthorized outposts, end the daily humiliation of the
Palestinian people and not prejudice final negotiations with the
placements of walls and fences," President Bush said in a speech two
weeks ago in London. Sharon's spokesman, Raanan Gissin, said Israel was
committed to removing a few dozen outposts but added, "We can't
evacuate them when we're under attack. That only encourages more terrorist
activity." Israel has also agreed to freeze the number, but not the
size, of Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, Gissin said.
He said Israel has an "understanding" with Secretary of State
Colin L. Powell that natural growth is permitted. "People have the
right to live and multiply and give birth, and we are not going to throw
them out," he said. U.S. officials have denied that Powell made any agreement
permitting the natural growth of settlements. In addition to 635 new homes approved before the Aqaba
summit, the Israeli government has approved the construction of at least
1,092 more in the West Bank since adopting the road map, according to
Peace Now, a group that is critical of settlements and that monitors
housing construction contracts. The total of 1,727 homes approved so far
this year is roughly the same as in the previous two years, before Israel
adopted the road map, according to the Foundation for Middle East Peace, a
Washington-based research group that monitors settlement policy. Sharon and Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz have been quoted in
the Israeli press in recent days as saying that Israel has dismantled 43
outposts since the Aqaba summit. The government refused several requests
to provide a list of the outposts. Instead, it referred a reporter to
testimony in Israel's parliament, the Knesset, two weeks ago in which
Gideon Ezra, a minister without portfolio in Sharon's government, named 10
outposts that had been evacuated. Peace Now, which keeps authoritative settlement data,
claims that 15 outposts have been dismantled since Aqaba, including seven
that were built after the summit. Five outposts established after Aqaba
have not been dismantled, according to the group, for a net decrease of
three outposts since the peace plan was adopted. Israel's settlement program is highly controversial and
over the years has proven difficult to curtail. Many Israelis citizens
oppose the settlements, believing they are expropriation of Palestinian
land, a drain on Israel's budget and military resources and the main
obstacle to reaching a peace deal with the Palestinians. But other Israelis believe the lands, particularly in the
West Bank, were promised to the Jewish people in the Bible and that they
have a religious duty to live there. Since seizing the West Bank and Gaza
Strip in the 1967 war, the Israeli government has encouraged the growth of
settlements by subsidizing their development and offering tax breaks, low
interest rates and other financial incentives to Israelis who move to
them. The large growth in settlements came in the 1980s and 1990s. The Israeli military, eager to occupy the strategic
hilltops where most settlements are located, helped guide the expansion,
and Sharon was one of its chief architects. Since he became prime
minister, the number of settlers has grown almost 20 percent -- totaling
about 230,000 today -- and the number of settlement outposts has more than
doubled, to 102, according to data compiled Peace Now. Today, some of the settlements are small, modern cities,
and Israeli and Palestinian analysts and politicians say it is unlikely
that Israel will ever relinquish the biggest and oldest of those. Israelis say that some settlement expansion is for
security, citing numerous attacks on settlements by Palestinians. In the
rapidly growing settlement of Beitar Ilit, for instance, the Israeli
military recently began moving the boundary fence outward about 200 feet
to widen the buffer zone around the settlement and give security officials
more time to respond to an incursion by armed Palestinians, a military
spokesman said. Numerous Palestinian olive trees are being uprooted by the
project, and dozens more will now be inside the settlement's fence. Beitar Ilit's mayor Yitzhak Pindrus, said the newly fenced
land will continue to be owned by Palestinians, who will be allowed to
enter the settlement through a gate to tend their trees. Settlement
experts say they know of no precedent for such an arrangement at any of
Israel's 155 settlements. Dror Etkes, the head of Peace Now's settlement watch
program, compared today's settlement and outpost expansion with settlement
growth in the 1990s that was one factor, along with Palestinian attacks
against Israelis, in undermining the 1993 Oslo peace accords. Since Oslo,
the number of Jewish settlers in the West Bank and Gaza Strip has more
than doubled. "The Palestinians understood there was no point in
negotiating with Israel when the circumstances were creating such a growth
in settlements, and that eventually created this explosion," Etkes
said, referring to the three-year Palestinian uprising against Israel's
continued occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. But Gissin, the Israeli government spokesman, said complaints about settlement growth were excuses to let the Palestinians off the hook for not combating terrorism. "Every time they come to a difficult stage, they want to move the goal post," he said. "They can't fight terror, so they say Israel is not doing this or that. We are trying to do our part, but it is extremely difficult to remove settlements when the ground is infested with terrorism."
|
|
||||||||||
|
(c) 1999- The Children and Armed Conflict Unit |
||||||||||||