-
-
-
|
| You
are in: Home > News
Stories |
News
Stories
|
International Criminal Tribunal For Sierra Leone
|

June 20 2000
Richard Holbrooke, the U.S. Permanent Representative to the
United Nations, called Tuesday for some form of international tribunal to be
set up to try rebel leaders accused of war crimes in Sierra Leone. Holbrooke
told the U.N. Security Council that President Kabbah had requested that
jurisdiction of an existing war crimes tribunal, such as the one set up for
the former Yugoslavia and later extended to cover the 1994 Rwanda genocide,
be extended to Sierra Leone. Holbrooke said he was against the creation of a
new U.N. tribunal, but that he he had talked to the prosecutor of these
courts, Carla del Ponte, about what could be done. "Some form of
extension of the international war crime umbrella to cover these odious
people must be undertaken," Holbrooke said, adding: "Some form of
international umbrella as suggested by the president of Sierra Leone is
something I believe must be looked at very positively and with the view
towards action at the earliest possible opportunity...We do not believe that
Sierra Leone can have a peaceful and stable future before they are brought
to justice." Britain meanwhile has circulated a draft Security Council
resolution calling for detained RUF leader Foday Sankoh to be brought to
justice. The resolution asks U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan to examine
any request for help in prosecuting those responsible for serious violations
of Sierra Leonean and international law. In Freetown, Information Minister
Dr. Julius Spencer (pictured right) was quoted Tuesday as saying his
government had asked for a tribunal to operate in Sierra Leone under a
combination of Sierra Leonean and international law. "The tribunal will
be set up to try for crimes past and present," he said. "The
initial work has begun."
With
ratification by Sierra Leone on May 23, the International Criminal Court
(ICC) has received 13 of the 60 ratifications necessary to bring the Court
into existence. The ICC would initially have within its jurisdiction crimes
of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity -- the latter category
to include murder, enslavement, extermination, persecution, disappearance
and sexual crimes. An ICC Preparatory Commission has set a deadline of June
30 to complete work on two aspects of the Court's State essential to its
eventual functioning: Rules of Procedures and Evidence, and Elements of
Crimes. The Court is not expected to be operational in time to hear cases
relating to abuses in the Sierra Leone conflict. So far 97 countries have
signed the treaty establishing the Court. The treaty remains open for
signature until December 31. To this point only Sierra Leone, Senegal,
Trinidad and Tobago, San Marino, Italy, Fiji, Ghana, Norway, Belize,
Iceland, Tajikistan, Venezuela and France have ratified the treaty.
| WARNING:
The Children and Armed Conflict Unit is not responsible for the
content of external websites. Links are for informational purposes
only. A link does not imply an endorsement of the linked site or its
contents. |
|
|