|
CHILDREN
in
Northern
Ireland
are being shot in paramilitary punishment attacks at a rate of one
every three weeks, according to a report published today.
About
19 children aged between 13 and 17 were shot by republican and
loyalist terrorists last year, the second-worst year on record.
Republican terrorists were particularly vicious in their targeting
of children as they sought to keep police out of their areas, the
report says.
The
situation has become so desperate, the report’s author says,
that he even suggests a quota system for
Northern
Ireland
’s
main terrorist groups to help them gradually to reduce their
attacks on children.
Children
were the victims of 12.5 per cent of republican “punishment”
shootings and 26 per cent of such beatings. The attacks often
cause lifelong injury and involve weapons such as baseball bats,
breeze blocks, nail-studded sticks and sledgehammers.
Among
the children attacked by Protestant groups last year was the
17-year-old son of Johnny Adair, the loyalist terrorist, who was
shot by his father’s henchmen after starting a fight in a
Belfast
shop.
Because
of his father’s position, he was given a “clean shooting”
through the calves rather than the knees. Most children are not
shown such favouritism.
The
report, entitled They Shoot
Children, Don’t They?, is a reminder of the failure
of political advances in
Northern
Ireland
to translate into a better quality of life in working-class
districts. Its author, Liam Kennedy, Professor of Economic and
Social History at Queen’s University,
Belfast
,
said: “This is a reality check for all of us who felt that the
signing of the Good Friday agreement and the inauguration of
power-sharing meant that paramilitary organisations were going to
go out of action.
“Not
only have they not faded away but they are still very active on
the ground, doling out the most brutal forms of ‘punishment’
against the most vulnerable people in their communities.”
The
report says: “Existing policies have failed in relation to the
protection of children from paramilitary abuse. If the political
resolve to face down the paramilitaries is not forthcoming, then a
modest proposal, in the spirit of Dean Swift, might prove more
effective.
“It
is to allocate a quota of child victims each year to the IRA, the
UDA and the UVF, with the quota reducing progressively by the
year. This would at least have the merit of definitively reducing
the incidence of paramilitary child abuse.”
Last
year was the second-worst since the Troubles began for
“punishment” attacks, with 312 shootings and beatings carried
outby republican and loyalist terrorists.
The
attacks included an attack on Harry McCartan, 23, who was nailed
to a stile by loyalists who accused him of being a joyrider.
There
has been little improvement so far this year, with a total of 148
shootings and beatings until July 6, compared with 156 for the
same period last year.
|