We have established a worldwide reputation for top quality teaching and
research since being founded in 1964. Over the past five decades we have
grown to more than 11,000 students, including over 3,000 postgraduates, who
come from all over the world to study at one of our three campuses in
Colchester, Loughton and Southend.
- Research excellence – Essex was ranked ninth in the UK for the quality
of our research and top for social sciences in the latest Research
Assessment Exercise (RAE, December 2008).
- Student satisfaction – we are ranked second among mainstream UK universities for overall satisfaction according to the 2013 National Student Survey.
- International perspective – we are one of the UK's most internationally
diverse campus universities with students drawn from more than 130
are an internationally oriented, research intensive university with a commitment to excellence in research and research-led teaching,
to the personal development of all our students, and to offering an outstanding campus-based student experience.”
Research-intensive – our students learn from academics
at the forefront of their fields
Inclusive – we aim to support all our students to
International – we are proud of our diverse student
community, strong links with leading universities across the world and the
global impact of our research.
Interdisciplinary – we encourage our academics to work
collaboratively across traditional subject boundaries to provide new
insights to important issues and our students benefit from being encouraged
to develop an interdisciplinary approach.
Essex has three vibrant campuses:
- Colchester Campus is based in
historic parkland close to England’s oldest recorded town;
- Loughton Campus is the home of the
world-renowned East 15 Acting School and has quick links to the centre of
- Southend Campus is located in the
lively heart of the seaside resort.
Highlights from the latest Research
Assessment Exercise (RAE, December 2008), the UK’s independent review of
the quality of research at our universities, included:
- 22 per cent of our research was rated as ‘world-leading’ and more than
90 per cent was recognised internationally for its quality;
- we are the UK’s leading university in social sciences with politics and
sociology ranked first, economics third and linguistics fourth
- in the humanities, history was ranked second, art history ranked ninth
and philosophy ranked tenth;
- Essex Business School was ranked second in the UK in accounting and
- National Student Survey 2013 – 93% of our undergraduate students expressed overall satisfaction with their course, placing us 2nd in the UK of mainstream universities.
- Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey 2013 – 93% of respondents said their teaching and learning had met or exceeded their expectations, while 94% said their overall experience as a postgraduate had met or exceeded their expectations.
- Postgraduate Research Experience Survey 2013 – 84% of our research students who took part said that the overall quality of their degree had met or exceeded their expectations.